JuneuaryPosted: June 29, 2014
This month’s highlights:
- June’s cold weather finally broke towards the end of the month, giving much-needed heat to the corn, tomatoes, and peppers.
- We threw our first annual Summer Solstice party BYOLS (bring your own local stuff) with everyone wearing all-white. Much fun, great relationships (true wealth), and a celebration of everything hyper-local…from kombucha to kale.
- Camping with kids = no sleep for anyone but good lifelong memories.
- Hand-watering got to the point where we reestablished the fully automated irrigation in all it’s geekiness glory. A few years ago we repurposed the fancy lawn irrigation controller to control water dosages to all our veggie beds and food forest with an A/B switch to move from our neighborhood water (shared well system) to our cisterns holding harvested rainwater. Now with a few hours of patching work the full system is up and running again.
- Newly refilled sheds for of green firewood (not to burn this winter, but the following) give me a good feeling of preparedness for ourselves and our neighbors.
- Serious growth on the fruit trees should mean our first significant harvest this fall. Hooray!